Must do Epic Adventures in the Yorskshire Dales
- 3 Night / 4 Day
[youtube id=”jHrxzM3ELoQ” align=”center”]
“The Yorkshire Dale’s rolling hills treats one to eye-catching views of deep ravines waterfalls and some of England’s most enriching landscape. Adventure your way with hiking, biking, caving and climbing across the Pennines and Yorkshire Dales National Park.” ~ Lost Earth Adventures
The Yorkshire Dales has many tempers; it can be wild and windswept or quietly serene. The landscape is impressed with the finest examples of limestone escarpments. In addition to green rolling moorland, waterfalls, high summits, deep ravines, and dry stonewalls snaking their way across the hillside and the quaint villages that line its valleys. Underneath are vast cave systems, a labyrinth of winding passageways, stalactites and stalagmites and a world few others get to experience. It has been carved out over millennia, beginning as a glacial expanse.
Together, nature and people have created a special countryside of titanic beauty and charm.
The epic adventures include hiking, biking, caving and climbing your way across the Pennines and Yorkshire Dales National Park. Lost Earth Adventures couldn’t make this weekend more fun, exciting and full of adventure if they tried!
ITINERARY & ACTIVITIES
- Friday, Day 1 / Arrive at Ribblehead Viaduct
- Arrive in the afternoon/early evening to the base for the weekend. The Station Inn is a quaint stone bunkhouse, situated underneath the impressive and grand Ribblehead Viaduct, with views across the Dales. The pub next door happens to have the best pies in Yorkshire and a plethora of local ales available.
- Saturday, Day 2 / Hiking in Wainwright’s Limestone Country
- All 723m of Ingleborough towers over the surrounding landscape, it’s imposing and impossible to miss. From Clapham take in Ingleborough Cave, Trow Gill, Gaping Gill the summit plateau of Ingleborough, Sulber Nick and the beautiful limestone outcrops of Moughton Scar. Wainwright has described the 11-mile route as an absolute classic, unparalleled and the finest walk there is in Limestone Country.
- Sunday, Day 3 / Biking the Pennines and Climbing at Twistleton
- The Settle Loop is an absolute classic route. The loop begins with an ascent on quiet mettled road, winding its way high above the bustling town of Settle and into the heart of Dales country. The route follows the National Pennine Bridleway; passing by ancient dry stonewalls on a variety of different terrain, including limestone grassland and stony track. The highest point is surrounded by beautiful, exposed hills and limestone outcrops. You’ll be challenged by the rocky ascent up Stockdale Lane and rewarded with a fun, flowing track all the way back down to Settle.
In the afternoon head to one of Yorkshire’s best climbing venues, Twistleton Scar, which basks in a warming afternoon sun. Learn the ropes of how to get off the ground and master the secrets of the crag. You’ll feel like a superhero abseiling a sheer cliff face back down to terra firma.
- Monday, Day 4 / Caving the Dales
- Caving is synonymous with the Yorkshire Dales, and is rightly distinguished as one of the UK’s premiere potholing destinations. The limestone in the region has made for a subterranean feast of wild and weird formations, a world vastly different from what we see above ground. From the doorstep of our bunkhouse there’s a myriad of options that are available to us, from the intricate passageways of Long Churn Cave to the exciting tunnels of Great Douk Cavern, navigate your way through tight squeezes, small pools and chutes, passing by rare flora, fauna and a staggering array of stalagmites and stalactites, like the beehive and giant’s hand. Pop up from underground surrounded by the stunning hills you have explored, a fitting end to a grand adventure!
Yorkshire Dales Epic Adventures Highlights:
- Rock climbing along an impressive limestone scar
- Explore one the best areas in the UK for caving
- Mountain biking across the Pennines
- Hiking in “Wainwright’s Limestone Country” to the top of Ingleborough
- Relaxing accommodation at the base of iconic Ribblehead Viaduct
Epic Adventures Experience Level:
None – All activities on this tour require no previous experience and although included, are optional. Lost Earth Adventures provides all instruction, equipment and plenty of staff.
For more information visit Lost Earth Adventures
For other fun things to do around England, visit here